Thursday, August 13, 2009

Creepy or Cool? Both?


I found this needlepoint piece at the Cathedral of Junk here in Austin (more on that below). I was immediately drawn to him because - obviously - he's a form of needlework, and because he was strangely pristine in the environment.

I've always been a little creeped out by clowns, but something about this guy makes me really like him. Maybe it falls into the same category as "so ugly, it's cute" ... he's "so creepy, he's cool."

Maybe?

* The Cathedral of Junk is a fantastic backyard "playscape" of junk here in Austin. You can read more about it here. The kids and I went for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and could have spent hours there if it hadn't been so insanely hot and humid that day. I plan to go back in the fall when we can explore even longer. Here are a few more pictures from the Cathedral of Junk. If you are ever in Austin, you *must* visit it!




7 comments :

  1. Creepy AND cool. Creepy because it's a clown, but cool because it's so nicely crafted and nothing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "so creepy, he's cool." I agree creepy can be cool. The catherdral of junk seems pretty awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's creepy AND cool. Creepy because not only is he a clown, but he seems to be an aging, sad, badly dressed clown communing with a dove. He's showing his humanity under all his clown makeup. That makes him cool, as well as his crafty origins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cathedral of junk looks like awesome fun. Can't wait to go there and check it out on our next venture to Austin! Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cathedral of junk looks amazing! I wish that I was there, so I could visit.
    As for the clown, I'm undecided. He's definitely well done. I've seen this image before, maybe he was also a paint by numbers design, back in the day...He's cool because he's familiar & unusual, at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for the cathedral of junk. We finally went there this summer for the first time after years of hearing about it. Loved it! And now whenever we find some cool piece of junk the kids say, "we should bring that to the cathedral of junk!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. the face is so horrible and creepy. omg.
    however the bird is awesome. I would cut it up and and frame the bird part!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read every single one of them. I do my best to respond when I can.

Have fun and be nice! :)
XOX
Rach