Sunday, March 23, 2008

The brilliant (and hilarious) Amy Karol - how she does bias tape

The kids had Easter baskets full of Fraggle Rock DVDs and NASCAR cars this morning. I didn't have an Easter basket, and stealing jelly beans from theirs wasn't very satisfying. So I was very happy to find this little treat in my Google Reader this morning. I'll consider it my Easter goody.




When I took the Beginning I Sewing Series, Leslie had this great way to attach bias tape to the bottom of the skirt we made. (did I ever show a picture of that? I didn't, did I .... Well, it rocked. It's reversible! Two skirts in one! Less laundry! Victory!) I couldn't remember *exactly* how to do it, though. Fortunately, Amy Karol uses the same method, and she's made a hilarious tutorial video to explain how. I appreciate quirky senses of humor in folks like you can't imagine. So Amy's "real-time" tutorial (meaning she zips off camera for a moment to sew, which you hear in the background) that comes complete with her narrating via Popsicle sticks, is just about the most fantastic tutorial I've seen in a long time ... possibly ever. And aside from just being fun to watch, this really is a fantastic way to attach bias tape with really nice, clean results.

In other words, better than jelly beans and NASCAR. (but Fraggle Rock is kinda hard to beat ...)

2 comments :

  1. THANK YOU for sharing this! I have a project in the pipeline that requires bias tape and I've been at a loss. Until now. (Amy Karol rocks. So do you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was awesome!
    and leads me to a question - have you ever used one of those bias tape makers? I'd like to try it out and am trying to decide which size would be the most useful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read every single one of them. I do my best to respond when I can.

Have fun and be nice! :)
XOX
Rach