Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Communicrafting Wrap-Up!

Me gettin' chatty with awesome embroidery visitors! Picture from Jenny Hart.

Thanks to all the Austin folks who came out to the Communicrafting event at AMOA last week. We had an incredible turnout (200-300 people!) I had such a blast doing quickie embroidery demos and seeing loads of people get that little twinkle in their eyes when they saw that embroidery was something fun and simple and totally within their reach.

These two kiddos didn't want to stop stitching! They closed the place down!

There was an adorable mother/daughter pair who picked up hoops and sat down and started stitching together, and left with extra floss and their designs so they could continue stitching at home. There were also two adorable kiddos who came up close to the end of the evening and took to stitching like nobody's business. They closed the event down and didn't want to give up their needles! They went home with enough floss to finish their projects, and an excitement for embroidery that made me positively giddy.

It was her first time to pick up a needle and stitch, and she did a fantastic job! She made the most perfect tiny lazy daisies on the flower!

I also got to see some of my awesome embroidery students from my classes at the Stitch Lab sewing studio. I was tickled to hear that they were all stitching or dreaming up new projects to stitch. One student has already emailed pictures of projects she completed within a week of taking the class, and another - who was in the mother/child class on Mother's Day weekend - told me that her daughter has been stitching bookmarks as gifts for her friends. How fun is that!?

If you've been itchin' to get in to one of my embroidery classes, now is your chance. The new Stitch Lab schedule will go out tomorrow to the Stitch Lab email list (more than 1,000 people). For my oh-so-special blog readers, I'll give you a sneak peek at the dates and will get priority enrollment for you so you can be sure to grab a spot. Just email me at averagejanecrafter at gmail dot com with "I wanna stitch!" in the subject line, and I'll get you all fixed up.

This is Jordan from Sublime Stitching. When you order from the Sublime Stitching Web site, Jordan's the pro who packs up your order and ships it out & handles all the order info. Plus, he's super nice! (picture from Jenny Hart)

Teaching embroidery is truly one of my all-time favorite things to do. I love sharing all the tips and tricks on everything from various ways to transfer images to fabric to where to find the best linens on which to stitch. The classes aren't just about learning stitches, but give you all the fundamental information and confidence you need to leave and keep stitching right after class is over. I get such joy hearing from so many students who reveal that they've been bitten by the embroidery bug in my classes and can't stop stitching. That's the kind of habit I love spreading! Join in on the fun!

4 comments :

  1. I watched you on the Craft podcast last night. You should totally do more tutorials. Fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us know about this event - my friends and I had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read every single one of them. I do my best to respond when I can.

Have fun and be nice! :)
XOX
Rach