Wednesday, October 28, 2009

For all the t-shirt hoarders in the house

My family has always teased me about my massive collection of t-shirts - almost to the point of convincing me to trash all my "meaningful" old shirts. Almost. But there's been a small group of shirts that I've held on to for years - some all the way back to third grade - and I finally found a way to put them all to good use.

We're in the middle of a very cool contest over at CRAFT right now (raise your hand if you'd like to have a serger! Then, quick, go enter the contest!) called Me, My Scarf & I. The contest requires you to sew a scarf that somehow matches or speaks to your personality. I loved this idea, and when I was cleaning out my closet a few weeks ago and found a stash of my old t-shirts, I knew exactly what to do with them.


I posted the resulting project up on CRAFT yesterday, and have gotten some very generous, kind responses. I've also had a few very small world encounters - one person who lived in my home town and was in the newspaper for which my dad was the publisher, and one friend from high school who recognized the t-shirt from our production of Fiddler on the Roof. Very cool!

This project was so easy - a little time consuming, but used very basic sewing skills, and it makes me so happy to see the shirts in this new way. Go check it out, and also check out what the fate of my beloved Space Camp t-shirt was .....

11 comments :

  1. Rach - So cool! I like how many t-shirts you used. I did one of these back in February, but I only used a couple tees. I like yours better.

    http://www.dudecraft.com/2009/02/tutorial-t-shirt-scarf-for-spring.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot - and much more practical for Texas weather than most scarves. It was always a bummer that I couldn't wear my new scarves when I got them as gifts when I lived in Tx. Oh, and I've spent a fair amount of time in San Angelo for work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. I admit I am very much a T-shirt hoarder, so this is great idea to consider so I won't have to part with my snarky, childish T's. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! It is so sad to say goodbye to old T's and this is the perfect way to make them new again. I saw a similar project in a DIY magazine and they showed cute pillows made from old T-shirts too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it Rachel! And I am totally going to enter that contest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pure GENIUS!!! LOVE IT!!!! Gonna show it to Ron to inspire him to give up some of his self-proclaimed "hall of famers". xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the t-shirt scarf idea. I have a box of old t-shirts that I was going to make a memory quilt with, but now I think a few will go to a "memory" scarf! Thanks so much for this great idea. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this scarf! I thought about entering that contest, hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. More undeniable proof of your genius!

    Bring it with you next time you are in Portland! I've just got to see this "in person".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this idea. I have this giant box of old tshirts that i was vaguely thinking about making a quilt out of someday... this seems like a more reasonable idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, have made a tshirt scarf. It's rad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read every single one of them. I do my best to respond when I can.

Have fun and be nice! :)
XOX
Rach