Monday, October 19, 2009

Hedgies from abroad

Don't forget! You still have time to enter to win a copy of Embroidered Effects!


I've followed the work of Eva of Apple and Eve since I first saw her gorgeously stitched plush animals in the Flickr embroidery group. Her stitching is pristine, as is her sewing. I was an instant fan.

So when I saw her post about a "crazy hedgehog project" last month, I couldn't help but jump at the opportunity. Here's what she posted:
well, I was thinking about two tiny hedgehogs I made of vintage cotton, remeber? Sadly, I had only small scraps of that fabric, so maybe only one hedgehog will be available in my shop later. But then I thought, that you, my dear friends, have maybe some lovely bits of fabrics in your homes too. So, what if I could make a tiny hedgehog for you from your own fabric? For free?

Like most crafters, my fabric scrap cup runneth over, and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to de-stash a bit, support Eva and get one of her hedgehogs for myself. I happened to get the fabric in the mail to her the next day, and within a couple off weeks, I had these three adorable hedgies back in my hands. I love the way she used the fabric, especially on the one little guy who ends up with a leaf on one side of his body, and a flower on the other. You can tell she put a lot of thought and work into situating the pattern to make fantastic hedgies.


I'm so thankful to have been a part of this "crazy hedgehog project" (partly because it's fun to have emails in your inbox with the subject line "crazy hedgehog project" and I love my sweet little collection of hedgies from Eva. It was such fun to think of moving some fabric I've had for ages and haven't know what to do with yet across the ocean to Germany to Eva's hands and then to have it returned in such cute form so quickly! I haven't seen the others listed in her shop yet, but do check it out - her work is amazing.

4 comments :

  1. These are gorgeous! I need a hedgie too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the project and about my work as well :)
    I must confess, the fabric you sent me was one of the most gorgeous pieces I have ever touched - so I consider myself lucky :)
    I'll post about all other hedgies as soon as I got my laptop back!
    thank you, thank you, for your kind words and beautiful pictures!
    kind regards from Germany
    eva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup...the email subject line would be enough for me!

    These are really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi jane your hedge hogs are just beautiful I retired a yr ago and am saving my sanity thru quilting
    beading and reading house work can be so boring. peg from de.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read every single one of them. I do my best to respond when I can.

Have fun and be nice! :)
XOX
Rach